As members of the Central Iowa PRSA Chapter, we have a lot to be proud of. And, I can't say 'thank you' enough to the many past and present leaders who have spent countless hours devoted to our Central Iowa chapter.
What's in store for 2019? Read remarks from the newly elected president, Teresa Roof, APR in the January Letter from the President.
PRSA makes it easy to set and achieve your professional development goals. Check out the information and events available through our local PRSA chapter featured on this website. And, check out the myriad of resources available to you as a member at prsa.org.
So, what are you waiting for? Now's the time to plkan for those personal and professional goals that you'd like to achieve..and how you'll do it.
Read this month's ethics column by Kathy Krafka Harkema, APR here.
PRSA of Central Iowa is excited to announce a new quarterly sponsorship program in 2019, offering the opportunity for one company or organization to sponsor all programming within a quarter. Our first quarterly sponsor is Wellmark Blue Cross Blue Shield.
Read more about our first quarter sponsor and more details about this new initative here.
Attend the Metro Marketing Mixer
WHERE: Iowa Taproom
215 E 3rd St #100, Des Moines, IA 50309
WHEN: Wednesday, Jan. 23 from 5 to 8 p.m.
The Metro’s top communications organizations are joining forces to host the premier Central Iowa networking event for marketing and communications professionals — and you’re invited! PRSA Central Iowa is happy to co-host this event and provide free admission to our members and $10 for nonmembers.
- Network with likeminded peers
- Learn about other metro organizations
- Cultivate new business opportunities
- Maximize your professional development
Hors d’oeuvres • Cash bar • Networking • Prizes
Co-hosted by: American Advertising Federation, American Marketing Association, National Agri-Marketing Association, Public Relations Society of America Central Iowa Chapter, and Social Media Club: Des Moines.
Admission is FREE to members of the host organization; $10 for non-members. Please register by Jan. 9, 2019.
Quarterly Luncheon Pass
We're looking forward to another great year of programming for PRSA Central Iowa and are excited to announce each PRSA Central Iowa member has the opportunity to purchase a 2019 quarterly luncheon pass.
Pay once to attend all four 2019 luncheons with the pass and receive a 15 percent discount. Purchase the non-transferable pass before Jan. 31, 2019.
It's a win-win situation! Members recieve a discount and our chapter saves money on transation fees. Register today!
Email [email protected] with any questions.
Was one of your new year’s resolutions to volunteer more? Central Iowa PRSA has opportunities for you!
- Nonprofit plan: Member volunteers are needed to further defining a plan to help local nonprofits. This work is led by Pat Howard, public relations chair. A committee is being formed to help determine how to best implement a plan – using PRSA Central Iowa members – to help provide services to a local nonprofit organization. This a great way to build your strategic planning skills while helping out the local community.
- Sponsorships: The sponsorship committee is looking for volunteers to work alongside the programming committee to solicit sponsors for quarterly programming and the annual OctoPRfest event. Thanks to the work last years’ sponsorship committee completed, a well-define strategy is set and needs people to help execute. Contact Mari Moroz, sponsorship chair, for more information.
- OctoPRfest: This is the Chapter’s annual day-long strategic communications conference. Volunteers are needed to serve on a committee that will plan and execute this event. Last year more than 165 professionals attended. Ryan Johnson, president-elect, can provide more information.
If you would like more information or are interested in volunteering, please contact one of the members listed above.
Last call: Reigster now for APR Prep Course
2019 APR PREP COURSEIt's not too late to join us for the 2019 APR Prep Course. Classes start Jan. 19. Register today.
The course provides great information, opportunities for networking with fellow PRSA members and advance your professional skills.
The course will be held on six Saturday mornings, starting January 19. The registration fee is $50 and sessions will be held at Drake University.
Join us for our first meeting on January 19 from 8 a.m. to 12 p.m.
Meredith Hall RM 104, we will meet in room 104, Drake University
2805 University Ave
Des Moines, IA 50311
We look forward to helping prepare candidates for the APR exam.
Is one of your personal and professional goals for 2019 to rethink your personal brand?
In the communications profession, people talk and they talk a lot. Have you thought about what they might be saying about you?
Check out these tips to improve or redefine your personal brand.
Your membership to PRSA includes free webinars. Be sure to log in this month.
- Jan. 24: Writing for Readability
- Jan. 29: How to Tell Your Organization’s Story to Get Media Coverage
- Feb. 21: How Curiosity and Attention Drive PR Outcomes
- Feb. 26: Survival Planning: Busting Silos, Breaking Bad Habits and Embracing Your Heresy in Order to Return to Growth
- March 19: Ten Tech Tools to Make Your Life Easier
- March 21: Strategy, Statistics and Soul: How to Use Communications to Create Business Value and Impact Forever
- March 28: Ten Advanced Speaking Tips to Supercharge Your Next Presentation