The year is off to a great start. PRSA Central Iowa combined forces with the American Advertising Federation, American Marketing Association, National Agri-Marketing Association and the Social Media Club to host the Metro Marketing Mixer.
This fun networking event, got me thinking: What is it that I love about this industry? Click here to read five reasons why I enjoy working in public relations.
Quarterly Luncheon: Battling the Retail Ice Age
At our winter luncheon on February 14, find out how to engage your audience and warm them up to your brand with interesting public relations tactics and strategies that will differentiate you from your biggest competitors.
Hear how the evolution of media prompted Iowa’s largest private employer to elevate its communications team to handle some of the most chilling issues in the industry.
From TV news reporter to Hy-Vee’s vice president of communications, Tina Potthoff gets real about taking care of customers and promoting everything from cakes to cars.
We'll have giveaways inspired by Valentine's Day to warm you up. Register online today!
Thank you to our quarterly sponsor, Wellmark Blue Cross and Blue Shield, for their contributions to this program. For 80 years, Wellmark has been committed to improving the health of its members and the communities they serve.
If you're interested in learning more about PRSA Central Iowa's quarterly sponsorship program, please contact Mari Moroz at email@example.com.
One early, brisk morning, Ashley Dalsing, newsletter chair, spoke with a bubbly and kind, new member, Khushbu Jamnadas over coffee about landing her first public relations job at Trilix, and making the big move from the East Coast and finding a home — and plenty of professional opportunity — in the Midwest.
Read about Khushbu Jamnadas in this month's Member Spotlight.
Thank you to everyone who attended the first Metro Marketing Mixer in January. Around 200 local marketing and communications professionals met for an evening of networking and fun.
It was the first co-hosted event by these five metro associations - PRSA, AMA, NAMA, AAF, and Social Media Club of Des Moines. The event was a success and received such great feedback from attendees that organizers are considering when to host the next Mixer. Stay tuned!
Did you miss out on the event? Check out the photos here!
Volunteers needed to judge PRSA awards
This year our chapter has been selected to judge award entries for the Baton Rouge PRSA chapter. Their chapter requires three judges per entry with at least one of these judges having their Accreditation in Public Relations. There will be approximately 20-30 award entries to judge.
Award judging will take place on Wednesday, March 6, 3:30-5:30 p.m. at Strategic America, 6600 Westown Parkway, West Des Moines. If additional judging time is needed, a second judging session may be scheduled for the week of March 11. All award entries will be submitted and judged electronically via Dropbox, so volunteer judges will need to bring a laptop.
If you’re interested in volunteering to judge awards, please contact Shari Saunders-Behnke, firstname.lastname@example.org or 515-453-2108 by February 20.
During the cold, snowy months is a prime time to catch up on or start professional reading and networking. PRSA.org is a great place to start. Make sure that you’re taking full advantage of your investment and all PRSA has to offer.
Check out the February ethics column written by PRSA Central Iowa Delegate and Ethics chair, Kathy Krafka-Harkema, APR.
PRSA Central Iowa Job Bank Update
If you're looking to post an internship position, make sure to utilize the PRSA Central Iowa Job Bank. All internship postings are free; simply email the details to our chapter job bank coordinator, and we'll post on your behalf.
If you want to work for a particular company, agency or nonprofit, odds are pretty high that you’re applying against a whole pool of capable candidates. You may be wondering what it would take to stand out from these candidates.
We’ve gathered a few helpful tips for you to consider.
In each issue of this newsletter, we recognize PRSA Central Iowa's Chapter members who are celebrating milestone PRSA anniversaries. Congratulations to the following individuals who celebrated, or will celebrate milestone anniversaries.
- Erica Jean Turner, APR
- Abby Delaney, Bankers Trust
- Emily Marie Bettridge, Plaid Swan
- Kelli Bloomquist
- Kaylee K. Humphrey, Performance Marketing
- Ali Krogman
- Miranda Marie Kuckuck, Two Rivers Marketing
- Sean Neugent, Performance Marketing
- Nicole Kaileen Onken
- Alyssa Clare Steinhagen, Ballast Capital Advisors
- Alyssa Ann Zipperer, Two Rivers Marketing
- Thomas C. Petersen, APR, ITC Midwest
- Jamie Loggins-Evans, Center for Social Ministry
- Claire Masker, National Pork Board
- Scott Valbert, Bankers Trust
- Consuelo Valdes
- Denise Lee Waddingham, Dee Zee Inc.
PRSA Central Iowa New Member and Prospective Member Networking Event
February 21, 2019
8:00 AM - 9:30 AM
220 SE 6th Street, Suite 340
Des Moines, IA 50309
Get to know your fellow PRSA members and learn about the benefits of your PRSA membership.
For our profession as well as for PRSA, we have several key challenges:
- Navigating the impact of rapid technological change, disruption and innovation
- Playing a leadership role in creating and sustaining respectful discourse in society at large
- Ensuring our profession is viewed as key to organizational leadership and success
- Keeping PR professionals and leaders from all sectors engaged at all levels of PRSA
- Building on our diversity and inclusion efforts
Read more about what Debra Peterson, APR, has to say about the challenges of the public relations profession, and what the year looks like ahead of us in PRSA.
Your membership to PRSA includes free webinars. Be sure to log in this month.
- Feb. 21: How Curiosity and Attention Drive PR Outcomes
- Feb. 26: Survival Planning: Busting Silos, Breaking Bad Habits and Embracing Your Heresy in Order to Return to Growth
- March 19: Ten Tech Tools to Make Your Life Easier
- March 21: Strategy, Statistics and Soul: How to Use Communications to Create Business Value and Impact Forever
- March 28: Ten Advanced Speaking Tips to Supercharge Your Next Presentation